Monday, September 28, 2015

How to bond with your dentist

I grew up being afraid of dentists. A couple of years ago, when one of my wisdom teeth began to ache, I happened to be in India. I can see a variety of people when I need a dentist in my hometown, Lucknow — street dentists, qualified dentists, pretending-to-be-dentists. I played it safe and chose one of the top dentists.

A middle-aged woman with a stern expression, she told me I needed a root canal. It would take six appointments and a total of 8,000 rupees, about $150, which would include a shiny new crown. I knew the work would set me back at least $1,500 in the States. I quickly agreed.
Her office was about as big as a king-size bed. A cricket match was playing on a television mounted on the wall. Her assistant, a young man with a cheeky smile, stuck a suction pipe in my mouth but kept his eyes glued to the screen. The first appointment went all right, but the next time I came in, the dentist said she thought I didn’t need the anesthesia.

“You can handle a little pain, I know,” she said.
As soon as she poked my tooth, I winced in pain. The attendant found it funny.
The doctor stared at me and said: “You know, I have a patient who is only 8 years old. He is braver than you.”

From then on, she mocked me every time I cried in pain. After six visits, the hell was over and I returned to the States.

A few months ago, my tooth began to hurt again. This time I went to the dental school at the University of Michigan, where my doctor was a young woman from the Dominican Republic. I told her I’d recently read the Dominican-American writer Junot Diaz’s work. We immediately connected. After a long session, she told me to come back in two weeks for the crown.
The crown broke in less than three months. I was back at the dental school. This time, my doctor was a Spaniard. I asked about the last dentist. “She graduated and went back to her country,” the receptionist told me.

I sighed, said hello to the dentist from Spain, and told him I liked Lionel Messi.
“Messi!” he exclaimed. “You know him?”
“Not personally, but I know of him. I like the way he plays soccer.”
“Great! I love him, too.”

My session with this dentist went smoothly. Now I had to come back in another two weeks for some more work.
This time, my dentist was from Saudi Arabia. I told him I was from India to see if he had anything to say. He didn’t.
He had me open my mouth for a total of three hours. At the end, when I still had my jaw wide open, he brought his face close to mine and said, “Guess who I am engaged to.”
I had no idea what he meant.
“Guess who I am engaged to,” he said again.
I looked at him, baffled.
“Guess, guess.”
Helplessly, I gave him a blank look.
“Indian,” he said.

I learned that he was getting married to someone from India. We had finally connected.
I now have a new crown, and I am praying that I don’t have to be in a dentist’s chair anytime soon.
My dental saga started in India and ended in America with dentists from all over the world. I am still not sure whether it was better to get yelled at and mocked by my Indian dentist or to go to a dental school in the United States and spend nine months and five times more money to get a tooth fixed.
Maybe I am just a bad patient.

Source: https://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/2015/09/26/how-bond-with-your-dentist/xSTWnFD6nN0FBtu7u9ZDIM/story.html

In other dental news: Aurident offers the Optimet DS 6000 Scanner which uses patented proprietary conoscopic holographic technology to generate highly accurate and consistent scans.

The DS 6000 Scanner can be used for all dental applications such as copings, full contour crowns, bridges up to 14 units, implants, implant bars and dentures.

No comments:

Post a Comment